Our intent for Mathematics
At Flamstead End School, all staff strive to ensure that each child has access to highly-engaging and creative lessons with each of the aims of the National Curriculum and Development Matters guidance in mind. Moreover, we will endeavour to ensure that our wonderful learners have reflective and regular opportunities to develop themselves as mathematicians – in a wide-range of contexts.
We follow the White Rose Maths scheme from Y1 - 6. White Rose adopts a Maths Mastery approach which allows all children to be confident and competent in Maths.
- Pupils have concepts broken down into small steps which are accessible to all and the ‘concrete, pictorial, abstract’ approach is used in teaching. This approach allows the children to ‘see’ the Maths, reason with it and develop independence in lessons. Concrete manipulatives are available and encouraged for leaners of all ages and prior attainment levels.
- Pupils become fluent with the fundamentals of Mathematics, developing this over time to build a mathematical toolkit capable of tackling any problem. They will learn and perfect the required skillset and methods for their age bracket as well as understanding and appreciating all the technical vocabulary which is required to enhance their learning.
- Pupils demonstrate effective mathematical ‘reasoning skills’ by following a line of enquiry. Through this, learners will work independently as well as in groups and gain self-confidence to support the building of arguments and justifications for their own opinions.
- Pupils have plentiful opportunities to solve problems in a range of contexts, by applying knowledge of Mathematics to a variety of problems – both in and out of the classroom. This will allow children to develop a growth mindset and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Pupils become secure in their age-related expectations, naturally through the school, and flourish in the opportunity to achieve a greater depth standard. Our mastery approach will allow our students to acquire a more flexible, broad and secure understanding of the subject. Children have access to high quality and immediate feedback throughout the lesson as the teacher carries out ‘live marking’, allowing for any misconceptions to be addressed or extra challenge to be implemented.
- Pupils make links with the ‘real world’ as well as other areas within Mathematics. Furthermore, all learners will adopt the Core Values of our school within the Mathematics curriculum, appreciating and embracing the fact that Mathematics is more than just an hour’s lesson per day and is a constant throughout everyday school life.
White Rose Addition and Subtraction calculation policy
White Rose Multiplication and Division policy
World Maths Day 2023
On Wednesday 8th of March, where we held two 'Maths Championships' to celebrate World Maths Day 2023. One for Years 3 and 4, the other for Years 5 and 6.
All children participated in quiz-style maths challenge in mixed classes and year groups. The teams of 6 pupils had to participate in 4 rounds of difficult maths questions, the topics of which were: Mental Arithmetic, Estimation, Memory and Problem Solving. It was wonderful to observe the vibrancy of maths at Flamstead End and the confidence that all children were showing in their explanations.
Well done to the winning team in both the Year 3 and 4 Championship and Years 5 and 6!
For an introduction into our curriculum scheme, please press the link below, which will take you to White Rose Maths parent support page. Here you will find multiple videos which will explain the principles behind the modern teaching methods and help you to bridge the gap between what the children are learning at school and home.
White Rose Maths Parent Support
We recently held Parent Information meetings for KS1 and 2 to show parents more about how we teach Maths Mastery at Flamstead End.
Have a look at the powerpoints and resources below.
White Rose Maths have produced a range of workbooks that are free to download and use at home, to support your child's learning. This will provide you with an insight into how maths lessons look like in school.
Why not download this FREE Maths app on Google Play, the App Store or amazon kindle? White Rose have created a new 1-Minute Maths app to help children build greater number confidence and fluency. It’s all about targeted practice in engaging, one-minute chunks!
White Rose New 1 Minute Maths App
In maths children will be assessed against criteria based upon age related expectations. Please find below the age related expectations for a child in each year group. The documents set out what a child in each Year group will be expected to know by the end of the year. A brief explanation of skills and activities for each of the four strands (number, measurement, geometry and statistics) is also provided.
Year 6 - Arithmetic Video Guides ... watch this space!
Presently, the links to the videos are on our Year 6 Google Classroom pages, but will soon be located on this page of the website. The instructional videos provide an opportunity to hear/watch how to complete numerous arithmetic styled quesions that Year 6 pupils should expect in end of key stage assessments.
Maths Day Summer 2022
Children in Key Stage 2 participated in a gargantuan TTRockstars competition throughout the entire day! Each room had Chromebooks and ipads in full flourish with each child taking their turn to power blast their times tables! Well done to Mrs Smith's Galaxy Class for having the most correct answers throughout the entire day of 6794!!
Our classes also participated in a range of other exciting mathematics tasks, many of which involved learning outdoors. Year 4's Emperor Penguins created their own human bar chart and Hero Class (Year 3) went on their own shape hunt! Our other Year 3 class (Penguins) created their own maths-related board games and Year 4's Rainbow class completed a set of 'Problems of the Day', produced from our maths scheme: White Rose. Well done to the children in Year 5 who focused on learning how 'maths is always around us' and how it is used in our everyday lives. Year 6 rocked out with TTRockstars!
In EYFS and KS1, the children took part in activities such as making shape patterns, recognising numbers, finding number bonds to 10, adding numbers on skittles, measuring length and using coordinates. We over-heard one child saying 'This is the best day ever!'.
Click here to see more photos...
|Maths Year 1 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|
|Maths Year 2 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|
|Maths Year 3 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|
|Maths Year 4 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|
|Maths Year 5 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|
|Maths Year 6 Learner||16th Feb 2022||Download|