A Vision for Art and Design
“Art is not just a subject to learn, but an activity that you can practise with your hands, your eyes, your whole personality.” Quentin Blake
Art should enable the children to communicate what they see, feel and think. Children should experiment with their ideas, their use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. We encourage self-evaluation of work and children are taught how to be resilient to achieve their goals.
Art is good when:
- Children are given opportunities to explore techniques and materials
- Children have opportunities to express their ideas and imagination
- Children can develop and build upon skills
- Children are given opportunities to explore artists and designers and discuss their thoughts on their work.
- Children are given opportunities to use artists work as inspiration for their own ideas
- Children are able to use sketch books as a tool to build up their knowledge of art techniques and as a base for experimenting with skills and ideas
- Children self-evaluate and reflect on processes, skills and end products
Click here for Art Progression Map